Bradford County Government

Towanda

[Towanda from the river bridge]Towanda was incorporated as a borough in 1828, and was the center of the lumbering industry. The name comes from the Indians who thought the area so especially beautiful as to be a place to bury the dead.

Crossing the massive Susquehanna River bridge into Towanda, the U.S. Route traveler can see nearly every type of Victorian architecture of the 1800's in both private homes as well as commercial and government buildings.

Fortunately, Towanda escaped the devastating fires that ravaged many communities in the 1800's and buildings from as early as 1812 still stand. Many are on the National Register of Historic Buildings.

Text Provided by the Endless Mountains Visitors Bureau


Towanda Borough
PO Box 229
Towanda, PA 18848
Phone: 570-265-2696
Fax: 570-265-6722
towandab@epix.net

If you would like to sponsor this page so that it can be expanded, please send a note to sponsor@bradford-pa.com

  Sites
Events
Classifieds
Community
Business
Religion
Schools
Libraries
Weather
Government
Sponsors

Back to top
URL: http://bradford-pa.com/towns/towanda/
Please send any corrections or comments to: webmaster@bradford-pa.com

Site Designed and hosted by MB Tech